EA shuts down online support for 50 titles, including Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm
EA is unfortunately shutting down online servers for 50 of their older titles starting on June 30. The company claims the decision was made after GameSpy announced that they will no longer host multiplayer servers starting with May 31. Electronic Arts says they are evaluating options to keep online support, but haven’t found any viable solutions at the moment.
“Since GameSpy’s announcement, our teams have been working to evaluate options to keep services up and running. Unfortunately, due to technical challenges and concerns about the player experience, we do not have a solution at this time. Online services for EA games on the GameSpy platform will be closed down at the end of June.”
“We would rather our hard-working engineering and IT staff focus on keeping a positive experience for the other 99% of customers playing our more popular games. We hope you have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the games and we appreciate your ongoing patronage”
Although many of the games will probably go unnoticed, there are a few popular titles that many players will surely miss. Battlefield 2(PC), Crysis(PC), Crysis 2(PC), and Bulletstorm(PS3) being just a few of them. The full list of games that will lose online functionality can be viewed below:
- Battlefield 1942 for PC and Mac (including The Road to Rome and Secret Weapons of WW2 expansions).
- Battlefield 2 for PC (including Special Forces expansion).
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for PlayStation 2.
- Battlefield 2142 for PC and Mac (including Northern Strike expansion).
- Battlefield Vietnam for PC.
- Bejeweled (r) 2 for the Wii.
- Bulletstorm for PlayStation 3.
- Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars for PC and Mac (including Kane’s Wrath expansion).
- Command & Conquer: Generals for PC and Mac (including Zero Hour expansion).
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 for PC and Mac.
- Crysis 2 for PC.
- Crysis for PC.
- Crysis Wars for PC.
- Dracula – Undead Awakening for the Wii.
- Dragon Sakura for Nintendo DS.
- EA Sports 06 for PC.
- F1 2002 for PC.
- FIFA Soccer 08 (KOR) for the Wii.
- FIFA Soccer 08 for Nintendo DS.
- FIFA Soccer 09 for Nintendo DS.
- FIFA Soccer 10 for Nintendo DS.
- FIFA Street 3 for Nintendo DS.
- Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers for PlayStation 2.
- Global Operations for PC.
- GREEN DAY: ROCK BAND for the Wii.
- James Bond: Nightfire for PC.
- Madden NFL 08 for Nintendo DS.
- Madden NFL 09 for Nintendo DS.
- Master of Orion III for PC.
- Medal of Honor: Allied Assault for PC and Mac (including Breakthrough and Spearhead expansions).
- MySims Party for Wii.
- MySims Racing for Nintendo DS.
- MySims SkyHeroes for the Wii and DS.
- NASCAR Sim Racing for PC.
- NASCAR Thunder 2003 for PC.
- NASCAR Thunder 2004 for PC.
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 for PC.
- Need for Speed: ProStreet for Nintendo DS.
- Need for Speed: Undercover for Nintendo DS.
- Neverwinter Nights 2 for PC and Mac.
- Neverwinter Nights for PC, Mac and Linux (including Hordes of the Underdark and Shadows of Undrentide expansions).
- SimCity Creator for Wii.
- Skate It for Nintendo DS.
- Sneezies for the Wii.
- Spore Creatures for Nintendo DS.
- Spore Hero Arena for Nintendo DS.
- Star Wars: Battlefront for PC and PlayStation 2.
- Star Wars: Battlefront II for PC and PlayStation 2.
- THE BEATLES: ROCK BAND for the Wii.
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 for Nintendo DS.
EA has already shut down online services for Supreme Heroes, Supreme Heroes City and Age of Champions on May 8th, with Lord of Ultima scheduled to follow on May 12th. GameSpy’s upcoming shutdown will likely affect other companies as well, including Ubisoft, Gearbox, Capcom, Firaxis, Nintendo, and others.
Categories: NEWS, PC, Playstation 3, TRENDING GAME NEWS
Tags: Battlefield 2, Bulletstorm, Crysis, Crysis 2, EA, Electronic Arts, GameSpy, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, Online Servers Shutdown
- Radiant Update Announced for Darkest Dungeon
- Remedy Entertainment says Alan Wake 2 might happen when the time is right
- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward: new story, new jobs, flying mounts
- The technical rehearsals for Super Nintendo World Hollywood have now begun
- The Smite European Championships will conclude this weekend