Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall spiritual successor coming to Steam Early Access
While Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind all received plenty of love over the years, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall was mostly overlooked by the last couple of generations of gamers. The game is almost twenty years old so it’s pretty unlikely that younger gamers would want to play it now. However, the said gamers can play something with a similar vibe and modern visuals. The title in question goes by the name of Frontiers and will be coming to Steam Early Access next month. This is a very ambitious project that’s being developed by a single guy and he describes it a being a game that “blends the feel of first-person RPG classics like Daggerfall with the relaxing tempo and simplicity of a point-and-click adventure.”
Frontiers will allow you to explore a massive open world that’s not unlike Tamriel’s Daggerfall region. This is a game focused on exploration with a “unique relaxing pace and tone”, which means that it’s perfect for players who like to immerse themselves in a game. In terms of graphics, Frontiers will unsurprisingly not be up to par with newer games from The Elder Scrolls series, but the visuals are decent enough judging by the released screenshots. The developer says that the game will come to Steam Early Access because he needs the help of players who are willing to test it out and report any possible bugs. You can visit this page if you want to take part in the testing phase of this spiritual successor to The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. In the meantime, here are some of the key features offered by Frontiers:
- Massive open world – go anywhere, any time.
- Unique relaxing pace and tone.
- An exploration-focused main quest that spans an entire continent.
- Simple gameplay – no stats or skill trees to memorize (It barely qualifies as an RPG, really).
- Live off the land – hunt, trap, fish and cook dozens of varieties of plantlife (including hallucinogens!) and a dozen varieties of animal.
- Minecraft-style item crafting system.
- Dozens of skills to discover and learn, including magic, survival and stealth skills.
- Hundreds of shops, taverns, homes, caves, castles and other structures to explore.
- A haunting soundtrack for every region.
- Oculus Rift support.
- Full mod support.