Mike Ybarra, Director of Program Management for Xbox, has released new details about the New Xbox One Experience that will be arriving later this year and how Xbox One Preview Members can get their hands on it. When it arrives, it will be the largest update that the Xbox One has received to date. It’s set to give the console a completely new feel. The New Xbox One Experience will be powered by Windows 10, basically this will allow the console to run up to 50% faster. But, there will also be a host of new features:
- The new update is going to come out in tandem with Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility. So, look forward to at least 100 games at release and the ability to play multiplayer with people on Xbox 360 from the Xbox One.
- A new guide that can be accessed from the home menu or with a double tap of the Xbox button. You’ll be able to see friends, parties, settings, notifications, and messages all while in game.
- The Home screen is getting revamped. All of the changes are intended to make the console’s online social features easier and more accessible. You’ll be able to see what’s happening in the Xbox community, and what your friends are up to as soon as you power up.
- With the Home Screen’s focus on new social features it isn’t shocking that a new Community page will also be added. This will show your friends, and your, activity feeds as well as an all new Trending section.
- There will be a new OneGuide. You will be able to see trending TV shows, gain access to full screen TV listings, and have a tidy little picture mode so you can still watch while you check what else is on.
- The Store will also be getting an overhaul; this should make it easier to find things with a few new categories and a brand new layout.
If you’re wanting to get your hands on all of this, Mike Ybarra says that the new Xbox One Experience will be arriving for all consumers in early November but no precise date was given. However, if you happen to be one of the lucky few in the Xbox Preview Program you may just be seeing these features in the next few weeks. Microsoft is going to be releasing this update in waves to those that have “opted in” for the update; if you’re a part of the Preview Program you do get to choose if you want it or not. If you’re in the program then you should receive an invitation in Xbox Live Messages, from the invitation you will be asked to launch the Xbox Preview Dashboard and you will have to select the registration option. You can opt-in by selecting “Preview – New Xbox One Experience. Not doing so will not remove you from the Preview program. The first wave of people to receive the update will be those that have historically shown to submit the most feedback. Once they have had a chance to critique the new features it will slowly be rolled out to other Preview members.