Dota 2: Valve unveils Techies during The International 2014
With a prize pool of almost $11 million, The International 4 is not only the biggest Dota 2 tournament to date, but also the biggest e-sports event of all time. Yesterday Valve gave the millions of fans watching the All Star Match one more reason to be excited about. The company revealed what is perhaps the most anticipated hero from the original Dota, none other than Goblin Techies. The suicide squad will be known as just Techies in Dota 2 apparently, but we sort of already knew that. We also knew that the hero was bound to show up sooner or later seeing how all the heroes from the original game are expected to be ported over eventually.
The grand reveal was made in style with Valve not merely showing a picture or video of Techies, but actually allowing us to see him in action. During the All Star Match EG player Arteezy picked Sniper, a decision that made the crowd rather unhappy judging by all the booing we’ve heard. The mood changed shortly after however as the audience absolutely went crazy when Sniper switched to Techies before their very eyes. The unexpected transformation was accompanied by on-stage pyrotechnics and the sound of fans cheering and applauding. Valve definitely knows how to put on a good show, we’ll give them than.
They didn’t say when Techies will be available for everyone, but it shouldn’t be long now. The hero certainly looks ready to see some more action, but I’m not sure that all Dota 2 players will be happy to meet him. He is notorious for being one of the most unbalanced heroes in the original game and can take credit for the majority of first bloods that happened ever since he was first introduced. While bound to undergo a number of changes, Techies should come with the following abilities:
- Land Mines: Plants an invisible mine that explodes when an enemy nears. The explosion deals less damage if the target is farther away. When a new mine planted exceeds the mine limit, the oldest mine will explode.
- Stasis Trap: Plants an invisible trap that stuns nearby enemy units when detonated.
- Suicide Squad, Attack! Sacrifice yourself for the greater good. Deals massive area of effect damage.
- Focused Detonate: Detonates all remote mines in 700 radius around target area.
- Remote Mines: Plants an invisible mine that will only activate when triggered. Doesn’t damage buildings.
- Pinpoint Detonate: Detonates this remote mine only.
Techies deals 650 damage with Suicide Squad, Attack! at first level, which is enough to outright kill many support heroes at low level. While he also dies in the process, his death counts as suicide so the enemy team doesn’t get normal gold or experience. For more information on Dota 2’s newest hero check out this page.