Star Citizen finally gets the Arena Commander module
The Arena Commander (also known as dogfighting) module for Cloud Imperdium Games’ Star Citizen is now available. Arena Commander was actually supposed to come out last week, but was delayed due to a couple of game-breaking bugs. With all of the issues fixed, backers of the Star Citizen project can finally enjoy the new module now.
The current build of the module is called v0.8 and gives access to the Vanduul Swarm and Freeflight modes, as well as the ability to fly the Aurora, 300i, and Hornet ships. In case you’re a backer and haven’t pledged for one of those ships, don’t worry. Director Chris Roberts announced that you will receive “a loaner that is the closest in class to what you fly.” The module also comes with a multiplayer feature that includes the Battle Royale and Team modes. The director mentions that only a small number of players will be able to play these modes for the moment. However, they will be opened to more and more Star Citizen backers in the following weeks. Finally, Roberts revealed Cloud Imperium Games’ plans regarding version 0.9 of the game. The following improvements to Arena Commander are currently in the works:
- Improved client and multiplayer server stability.
- General performance optimizations and fixes for hardware specific issues discovered during community testing.
- Audio improvements with additional SFX, music, mix, and improvements to the dynamic music system.
- Improvements to the HUD to better differentiate the manufacturers, improve ITTS, and add mouse control functionality.
- Additional character animations to add immersion to the cockpit and resolve outstanding animation issues.
- Further flight model upgrades to better handle unique thruster power combinations and refine the control of each ship.
- Additional ship, weapon, item, and thruster tuning to improve the balance of Arena Commander based on community testing.
- New multiplayer game mode for public testing along with AI improvements and updates to Vanduul Swarm.
- Hangar bug fixing along with enhanced visuals and animations.
- Cockpit polish with improved damage effects and more dynamic lighting that responds to gameplay events and ship status.
- Some additional weapons and items for use with Arena Commander.
- Update player breathing sound effects and responses to incoming impulses and g-forces
A lot of people have put their faith (and their money) into this project so the release of this module was really important. Although Arena Commander was delayed a bit, it’s good to finally see it in action. We’ll keep our eyes and ears opened for more Star Citizen news so make sure you stay tuned.